Having recently acquired a whole new batch of baking tools, my boyfriend and I wanted to try our hand at using a piping bag. We decided on a simple vanilla cupcake recipe and a vanilla buttercream to go with it. Not our finest work, admittedly, but they tasted really good. Using a piping bag is much harder than we thought. Our first batch were horrendous, who knew there was such a knack to squeezing icing through a nozzle. If anyone has any tips, please share! Here's the recipe if you want to try them out. Also, the silicone cupcake cases are from asda if you were curious.
Cupcake Mixture 110g Butter, 110g Self-Raising Flour, 110g Caster Sugar, 2 Eggs, 1 tsp Vanilla Extract, 1-2 tbsp Milk
Quick Step-by-Step- Preheat oven to 180C
- Cream butter & sugar together until pale
- Beat in eggs a little at a time
- Stir in Vanilla Extract
- Fold in flour
- Add a little milk if necessary
- Spoon into cases until just over half full, bake fr 10-15 minutes
Vanilla Buttercream 140g Butter, 180g Icing Sugar, 1-2 tbsp Milk
- Beat butter until soft
- Add half of the icing sugar and beat until smooth
- Add remaining icing sugar and a tbsp of milk if necessary
Orginial recipe here.
Sometimes we ditch the vanilla extract and put chocolate chips in the cupcake mixture instead and are perfect little afternoon treats.