Hotel Chocolat Chocolate Tasting Adventure


Can you think of a better way to start off a long bank holiday weekend than doing a chocolate tasting? Anyone? No? Me neither. Callum and I had been given a gift card for Christmas and because of various different reasons (read: one reason - I'd given up chocolate for lent. A brilliantly timed decision on my part...) we've only just got around to using it.

So last Friday night we headed into Leeds for an early dinner and a mooch around the shops. At 6pm we made our way to Hotel Chocolat and were taken to a dimly lit corner of the cafe alongside another couple. The chocolatier introduced himself as Dan and then proceeded to pour us all a full glass of prosecco whilst we awkwardly fiddled with our pencils and resisted the urge to scream, "Where's the chocolate!?!"

Dan was amazing. He was funny and engaging and he clearly loved his job. It made a huge difference having somebody there who knew his craft. He would talk to us about certain types of chocolate, where it comes from, how it's cleaned and roasted and used. Then he would let us have a taste and ask us to guess what we thought the flavour notes were. We were on track for about 75% of the guesses, the other 25% came from Callum to which Dan said, "I think you should just leave now..." It was a fun, lighthearted atmosphere and being able to relax and have a laugh with everyone just made it that much more enjoyable.

We had a really lovely evening. We got to try about 12 different types of chocolate and we learnt all sorts about the process of making chocolate. We had a laugh (mostly at Callum, but he's a good sport and laughed at himself too) and discovered a new love for all different kinds of chocolate. Like we needed an excuse to eat anymore. We were also given a goody bag on the way out with some bars of chocolate and vouchers. Again, like we needed an excuse to eat anymore chocolate.

Next on my list is the chocolate making session!